Skip to main content

Over When It's Over


Eric Church seems to put it best into words:

It's over when its over
Ain't it baby, ain't it
Rips ya like a dagger,
Can it baby, can it
Wish we could do it over
Damn it baby, damn it
We had it in the air, we just couldn't land it


So. Here I am.

Acceptance.

As I rolled over yesterday morning, I sent my standard "not coming in today" text off to my boss. The pain just got worse and worse.

I slept a few more hours, then forced myself to get some food in my stomach.

Luckily, the sun wasn't out as the rain was hiding those undesired bright rays. But here I was. Another Sunday (for whatever reason Sunday is becoming a pattern) that I was left calling out of work. Another Sunday morning meeting that I wouldn't be a part of. Another day where I know my boss was just wondering if I was okay and if I'd be able to you know be an adult who could actually hold a job.

The pain didn't subside.

By the end of the day, I was drained. It didn't matter that I hadn't done a thing but be in pain all day. I showered hoping the steam would help. It didn't. I went to make ice cream, but the peaches I bought weren't ripe and I didn't want plain ice cream.

So I just sat on my floor.

Then all those intrusive thoughts came flooding back into my mind. But this time they wouldn't leave. Nothing about my situation screamed that I could get through.

So, it's over when its over. It finally came to be. The day that I knew. I knew that I could either drop out of school and work part time to at least try and survive. Or I could quit my job and hope to god I could find funds here and there to get by.

Its kind of a milestone. 20 and Disabled.

Not 20 and planning my fabulous 21st. Not 20 and falling in love. Not 20 and successful. Not 20 and average college kid.

20 and permanently facing a long term reality that's been 8 years in the making.

20 and sending off the emails to my doctors asking to sit down and go over what this disability entails. Going over if applying for disability is worth it.

20 and having to text my retired parents basically informing them that I can't support myself and that I can't maintain a job so I'm just going to have to leave it behind and hope for the best.

20 and crying even though I know it means relentless pain on top of the existing sharp stabbing pains.

And so, I went to bed. Defeated. Knowing I'd have to get up in the morning and go to work. Regardless of how I felt.

I've never woken up feeling so utterly worthless. It was like every ounce of who I am as a person, no longer existed.

But my head wasn't throbbing like I expected.

So I got up. I made my coffee. Switched out my oils to something uplifting. And I got ready for god knows what.

But I knew what.

What 20 year old do you know that knows exactly how to confront their able bodied boss and go to work surrounded by able bodied people, looking like an able bodied person, and simply explain that my health is so bad that I can't do this anymore. I certainly wish this wasn't a skill I've gotten fairly good at.

I mean, I've had that conversation with half the people in my life. Teachers. Friends. Family. They've all heard some version of how my health will no longer allow me to do "x"

And this was no different.

But it was.

I sat down with my boss. I worked out the wording so I wouldn't be saying that I'd finish out this next month but that would be it. I presented my concerns. I expressed that I valued my job and loved what I was doing, but that I couldn't keep calling out of work. That I couldn't handle the amount of days I was being scheduled. I asked for an accommodation, not all that accommodating to anyone but myself. 2 1/2 days. 3 tops.

The job description says part time employees must work 25 hours in a week. I was asking to work between 15-20.

And my boss's response was Absolutely.

It took just about every ounce of self control to not burst into tears right then and there.

Here I was, ready to accept that the job I'd fought so long to have. For the perfect company. In my field. That pays pretty well. Would have slipped through my fingers, far from my control.

But here my boss was. After I pushed back my start date to be hospitalized. After I called out within my first week and half. After I then called out about 4 more times. And left early a few other times. Saying that what I was asking for was 100% doable.

Saying that we'd put me down for 2 1/2 shifts a week starting in August and if I was up to coming in on days I was "off" I'd be more than welcomed to, but that we'd work with the 2 1/2 days.

I spend so much time reading about all the people in this world who don't understand. The bosses who simply fire their employees. The coworkers who poke fun and envy days you get to "sleep all day" rather than come into the office. Companies that won't allow lighting adjustments because LED lights suck. So many people won't ever understand. Won't ever care. Won't ever look to see what potential someone brings to the forefront. Won't ever try to work through tougher times.

So last night, when I started this post, all I could write were the song lyrics.

This evening, I may understand Mr. Church, but just because it was in the air, and I may not have been able to land it alone, I still landed on my feet.

A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio