Skip to main content

Hiding From the Sun


Even with my blinds closed. Even with my sunglasses on. Even with the doors closed to brighter rooms. I'm still desperately trying to evade contact with the natural light that pours into my apartment.

I have yet to discover a way to mount curtains around these awful blinds to prevent light coming through the sides.

Everyone LOVES summertime. I mean who wouldn't love the warm temperatures, tan skin, long days at the beach, fun alcoholic beverages... the list goes on and on.

I certainly would love those things if they didn't make everything about my condition worse.

The hot weather, and yes even 80 degrees is sometimes too hot for me to handle... forces my patterns of behavior to change dramatically.

If I want to run an errand? I better have 3 bottles of water with me.

The heat dehydrates me much quicker than normal.

The heat causes the pulsing sensation to get much worse.

Heat stroke? Oh yeah. Every time I get in my car, I come close to hyperventilating. It feels like my airways are simply closing up.

The heat changes my body too. My eating habits haven't changed, but I rarely have an appetite and my stomach is swollen... but I'm not bloated or anything, the heat just makes it happen.

I ventured out today to the post office. I had to wear longer pants because yesterday the sun hitting my bare legs in the car created a painful rash, worsened by exposure to heat/sunlight.

The 2 minute walk from my car to the post office door was dreadful. It was barely 76 degrees but the sun was beating down.

I needed to run a few more errands, but that short exposure has me calling it quits for the day.

Heat makes my fatigue much more intense.

I don't even try to count the amount of times I've simply just collapsed from being in the heat.

It happened a lot more in South Carolina. I remember almost dying because I was forced to wait on a table outside in the 110 degree weather wearing long black pants and a long black sleeve shirt. I quit that job shortly after.

But now here I am, living up north.

In case you haven 't been outside this month, the entire country was hit with a lengthy heat wave. Even here the heat index was well into the hundreds...

Of course I'll make some comment about how hot it is outside.

Yet, people talk about me as if I love this hot humid weather.

Its a constant "oh she's from the south she's used to this" or "feels like home, yeah?"

No.

I quite literally uprooted my life because I was sick of not being able to function properly for 6 months out of the year because of the heat.

So it being this hot up here, isn't good for me. Its painful. Its exhausting. And I can't seem to figure out how to just turn the sun down.

I wish I could enjoy this weather, but summer is one of the hardest seasons for me.

So here I am today, hiding under a pile of blankets and pillows, fighting off this horrid migraine (a storm is coming thank god at least it'll be cloudy soon) AC blasting. Perhaps I'll spend some time researching towns where the sun doesn't come out... I probably won't have much luck, but hey its worth a look.

P.S. Fall is in 51 days. Halloween is in 111 days :)

A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio