Skip to main content

I'm Confused As To Why You're Uncomfortable


Full disclosure, I'm well aware that the people I'm talking about, won't be reading this. But this is something that needs to be put out there, on the half chance you might click and read this one post, even though you've never glanced at the rest of them.

One month ago, I came to the conclusion that I could no longer work in the capacity I have been used to working.

Two weeks ago, I called off for my last week of work, and decided that I 100% needed to put my focus on getting healthy, or at least finding a way to manage my pain.

This decision resulted in something no one expected: I medically withdrew from my university.

In the weeks that have followed, however, you've bombarded me with your disapproving comments and your blatant lack of understanding.

More family won't speak to me.

People keep telling me they hope that by being back home, I'll get healthier and I'll be able to go back and finish my degree.

I'll be able to take full advantage of the wonderful brain I've been given.

I'll be able to do this and that.

Yes, I am home to try to get better, but as I walked into my front door and made my way upstairs, I was greeted by a completely renovated suite. Soundproof and all. This isn't a couple month detour in my life, this feels pretty permanent.

No, I won't live at home forever. God no. But, my coming home serves as the avenue in which I will reinvent myself around this disease. This disease isn't going anywhere.

Yes, I've been approved for Aimovig. No, I haven't started it yet. Yes, I'm hoping it will help some, but in the trials for chronic migraine patients, it decreased migraine days by roughly 6 days a month. I have a migraine everyday. Having 6 free days in a month would be HUGE. But I would still be considered one of the extreme cases for this condition.

When you tell me that I need to get healthy so that I can go back and finish my degree, you make me feel worthless.

Like my great achievements in academia are all that I can amount to.

Like academia is the only option for someone like me.

News flash. It isn't an option.

News flash. I have $12,000 of loans to start paying if I get denied disability.

News flash. I can't work to have an income to pay those loans.

Academia is a nightmare, and I'm not interested in re-entering that community.

But, then the tables turn.

Now I'm a "dropout"

I'm a failure.

I gave up.

I didn't push myself hard enough.

If other people can do it, why couldn't I?

Well excuse me, but last time I checked my academic standing I was the top of my class.

I wasn't struggling to get good grades.

I wasn't spending hours and hours studying and then failing exams.

I was the only student in most of my classes that did all the readings. I was the obnoxious student in my 8 AM Literature class that would literally just have a discussion with one other student and the professor, because no one else was even awake yet.

The only thing stopping me from graduating Summa Cum Laude was the shooting pain, the glaring light, the complete inability to pull myself off the couch. Being in the Emergency Room when I should be taking an exam is a problem.

Trying to take an exam when I can't see isn't possible. But oh I've done it. Remember when I failed calculus after I was a tutor for.. calculus? I've given presentations blind, with a peppermint breath-mint wedged in my cheek so I wouldn't throw up or pass out during the presentation.

Yet, I'm a dropout. 

Because medically withdrew makes you uncomfortable.

The first day of classes about 15 people reached out with concern. Not one of them had spoken to me all summer, but I'm in the wrong for not personally letting them know.

You've certainly got a lot to say. I mean, I was doing so well with pushing through... what changed? You could never tell when I wasn't doing good... I was such a great student... Blah blah blah you're going to miss me so much. Blah. Blah. Blah.

You only care because you were last to know, and that hurts your feelings. 

Now you're back to wanting to fix me. You're back to not knowing what you can do to help.

But you refuse to actually ask. You just continue to belittle me and act as if my medical issues somehow burden your life, even though we've never had a conversation outside of a goddamn twitter DM.

You're angry with me for not reaching out to you. For not telling you that I wasn't coming back this semester. (It's a two week old decision cut the crap)

So, yes I'm confused.

I'm just laying in my bed.

Maybe I'm writhing in pain. Maybe I'm just laying here conserving my energy knowing I'll have to use it later.

I don't understand why you can't see that I'm more than some degree. I contribute more to society now that I'm sick than I ever did when I was healthy.

The only reason you're uncomfortable, is because you're part of the problem.

A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio