Skip to main content

I Hope It Hurts Your Feelings Too


Let me just start by saying something loud and clear:
 
There is no CURE to Migraine.

Now let that sink in. Let that sink in so far that you think of all the other things in this world that don't have a cure. Cancer for example. Yeah, there's medical treatments, but nothing guarantees that it won't come back.

Parkinson's Disease. Alzheimer's. Coeliac Disease. Scoliosis. Fibromyalgia. Endometriosis. Cystitis. Chron's Disease.

All of these conditions, whether they develop over time, reveal themselves, or are forever ongoing conditions, all fall under that same category. As hard as we may fight, there isn't a cure. It isn't reversible. Eventually, it will win.

So in all honesty, I hope your feelings get hurt. I hope you recognize where your faults lie, and how incredibility inhumane you treat individuals who may not even appear to be sick, but are suffering severely.

What if I told you that Migraine fit with all these other conditions and that it was just as bad? You wouldn't know. Because to you, it is just a headache.

To you, I just need to go see a chiropractor.

To you, I just need to drink more water.

To you, I shouldn't eat so many carbs.

To you, I should try not to be so stressed out.

To you, I should just push through, it can't possibly be that bad.

To you, I should really go see a doctor.

To you, I should try and get more sleep.

more exercise.

more.

more something.

There is always this endless list of all the things YOU think that I should be doing. There are always all these alternative options to every goddamn thing.

There is never a convenient time to explain to someone the ins and outs of migraine. There is never a time when I could encapsulate all that it is and make it understandable. There also doesn't seem to be a time when people actual care.

You sit and you seem concerned. That's fine. But then YOU turn it around on ME.

YOU turned a genetic disorder that I have absolutely no control over, that a cure doesn't exist for, back around on ME.

I have to sit back and listen to the comments. Oh god, the comments.

"Oh gosh my head hurts" mumbled under your breath as you're wishing you could just leave work early. Wow, I can't imagine what that's like.

"Well what medicines have you tried" well what medicines haven't I tried.

"You must not be feeling good today" Actually my appearance doesn't have any correlation to how I feel. I always feel horrible. Stop talking about it.

And if I have one more person ask me "How I do it?" or "How I live with the pain everyday?" I might just have to slap you in the face. If you wonder why I'm not stressed about school or work or my finances or boy problems, its because at the end of the day, I can be a good student, a good employee, and I don't mess with boys, I don't have time. But that's the point. I don't have time for boys, because I have to be a good student and a good employee, but all of that depends on the level of throbbing my head decides to be at for the day. I have no answer for you to your questions. I don't have time to worry about day to day anything. I get every day about an hour at a time. And I have to take it an hour at a time.

And those hours are usually accompanied by the demeaning comments, vague suggestions, and extremely way to personal intrusions and questionings into my life.

And for some reason, I sit back and I don't snap at any of you. Why?

Well I can't image you'd respond well if I told you that there isn't a cure for being a bitch. I can't respond to your inconvenient headache with "Imagine if you had that everyday" because I'm not trying to make you feel like your pain isn't valid. No one wants to hear that I don't have time for all of these insignificant details because most likely I'll be dead before any of then come to mean anything.

I hope it makes you really uncomfortable knowing that people are all around you in so much pain that they don't think they'll live to see the end of it. Or that they pray that this is the end of it.

You hurt my feelings by pressing for information and then acting like the cause of my migraine is somehow my fault.

You hurt my feelings by trying to diminish my pain and make it insignificant,

You hurt my feelings by pretending to care and then turning you back on me.

So to those who have been by my side, thank you. Thank you for always being understanding. Thank you for knowing that I can't control how I feel. Thank you for listening when I rant about all the horrible things I have to listen to day in and day out.

-A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio