Skip to main content

Your Able-ism Has Got To Go


To put it quite frank, I've had enough.

Oh, darling, I am beyond angry. I'm livid. Enough so that I've sent my head swirling back into the horrendous pain I was experiencing Thursday.

I dragged myself to school to withdraw. No one was there who needed to be to get my forms properly signed. That was stressful in itself.

By the time I was driving home, I was done for the day. My energy was used up. I fully intended to just lay down and sleep the rest of the day.

But no. I received the wonderful phone call saying that my tenant had been approved and we could work out exchanging keys and security deposits...

So, as previously discussed, my tenant was hoping to get some of her stuff moved in as her lease ends the day I'm officially moving out... she was hoping to start getting stuff over here ASAP.

Me being me, pushed myself way too hard. I cleared all the boxes and packed up everything in my office. I dismantled furniture and stubbed my toes a few times. All so this room would be empty, ready for her first thing tomorrow.

I gave her my spare key, she gave me the security deposit and off she went.

The commotion of the day somehow gave me a burst of energy. I decided to start packing up my clothes.

And then it came.

My landlord. Calling to let me know that my tenant would be returning the keys as he could not approve her to move in.

Excuse me?

And then I got my second "talking to" regarding dogs in the building.

She lied. 7 years of serving our country, and she mentioned that she had a certified service dog due to her time overseas. The law here says you cannot discriminate against people with service dogs.

I had already been spoken to about how people were forging service dog certificates to get approval to live in apartments with their dogs. I understand that's a shitty thing to do. You don't have to tell me of all people that.

But here I am, devastated my tenant fell through, because wait for it. She fucking lied. The American Disabilities Act - which covers service animals - does NOT cover emotional support animals.

No fucking shit, your emotional support animal hasn't gone through the extensive training of a service dog, and therefore is not afforded the same privileges.

So, here's my message to you. All of you.

No one is excluded because I'm sorry you've all joked about just registering your pet to get around all these rules.

THE ONLY PERSON YOU ARE HURTING ARE THE DISABLED PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY NEED SERVICE ANIMALS.

I'm moving home to apply for disability, and I'm going to be liable for rent until someone takes over my lease... and now my landlord doesn't want to work with me on finding a solution because he thinks I ignored his "no dogs" request.

Your lie about a service dog is going to cost me whatever treatment I have to say no to because I'm still paying rent for a place I don't live.

People like this aren't new. People like this are causing problems everywhere.

The grocer yells at a lady that she can't have her service dog with her because 20 minutes prior someone lied and brought their fake service dog in (fake tags and all) and caused a huge disruption in the store. Her dog is trained to not beg for food and isn't allowed to be pet by onlookers, but now isn't allowed in, because she forgot her paperwork and some jackass made "service dogs" appear problematic. 

The restaurant manager reluctantly allows a gentleman and his service dog in, as just yesterday someone else's service dog was eating off the table and barking the entire time, forcing customers to leave and complain. The manager couldn't do anything because it was a "service dog", but now this real service dog simply lays under the table and goes completely unnoticed by all guests and employees. 

Your emotional support animal isn't a fucking service dog. Your pet that you got fake documentation for isn't a service dog.

Service dogs are specially trained. Let me repeat. Service dogs are specially trained.

Your precious best friend of a mutt, isn't a fucking service dog.

Don't register your dog.

You aren't cool. You aren't special. Having a service animal isn't a privilege.

Your able-ism is showing, and it isn't cute.

Your able-ism is making the rest of our lives really difficult and you can't even see it because you're so caught up in yourself and your needs.

Pay attention. The shit you do impacts everyone around you.

A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio