Skip to main content

Night And Day


I ordered shitty Chinese food, but the fortune makes me think the Chinese gods are trying to tell me something.

Don't know what but something.

Anyway, one thing that always is hard for me is this idea that I'm going to have plans or that somethings going to get done during x amount of free time.

People are constantly asking "oh got any plans for the rest of the day" or "doing anything fun on your days off?"

I've had two days off in a row. God bless.

First thing yesterday morning I got up and went to check my car into the dealership to get work done. I didn't have my car back until mid-afternoon. Yet, it was surprising that I didn't then go grocery shopping.

Today, I had physical therapy at 8 AM, followed by massage therapy at 10AM, and my groceries were ready to pick up right before noon.

I have the whole rest of the day to do whatever my heart desires.

But you see, two days in a row, I've gotten up much earlier than I would on a day off. So, there's no question in needing a nap mid day if I hope to be somewhat functioning by dinnertime.

But, I've also exerted all the energy I have.

People don't get that. People don't understand why I have these 6-10 hour chunks of my day not scheduled.

I felt great this morning. It's a gorgeous day out. I drove from destination to destination with my music blasting, windows down, and not a care in the world that the sun was shining.

Now there's sharp pains stabbing me all over my head.

So, I'll nap.

I got my groceries put away, and tonight I've planned a pretty easy meal with minimal prep. While that's cooking I'll use that time and the energy saved up for then, to package out the meats I bought so they can be frozen in proper portion sizes.

But, I won't do my laundry.

I mean I can't. The washer broke. The room smells like dead rotting animals. I have no quarters. I also have like 3 or 4 loads of laundry to do, and I just don't feel like breaking up a nap to stand in that awful smelling room.

The thing is. I didn't want to have plans these two days I had off. I worked over 40 hours last week (as a part time employee). I'm exhausted. My body is exhausted.

The idea of trying to save energy and missing important appointments doesn't interest me.

I need rest days.

I need to sleep all night and then spend half of the day lounging on the couch not doing much of anything.

That's how I make it through long weeks.

If I don't take it easy some days, I'll die everyday.

So I never know what to say to people when they ask what I've got planned.

I don't make plans.

A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio