Skip to main content

My Disability ISN'T Your ClickBait


Let me start off by saying and apologizing for pulling politics in to this post. This post is not intended to convey any political viewpoints only to address the way the media is using disabilities to get to further their political views and increase personal views on various stories.

So with that said, let me just start with the politics that prompted this post.

Here's the issue.

Children are being kept in cages, separated from their families. That right there should absolutely be enough to stop you in your tracks and make you questions what the fuck is going on in our world.

But no.

A few weeks ago the headlines all read: Families Being Separated At The Border

I guess that didn't get people as stirred up as the media wanted.

So, soon it became Children Being Ripped Away From Families At The Border

And shortly thereafter: Families Seeking Asylum Being Ripped Apart At The Border

Now... here's the issue I have.

This same exact story has been in circulation for a number of weeks now. But the new outlets are trying to keep it present in your mind.

I scroll through Facebook and Twitter and I come across these headlines close to every other post. So hey, people are talking about it. That's actually really good. This needs to be addressed. The new policy definitely needs to be looked at and perhaps rewritten. I have not read the policy so I have no comment on the hard policy itself or if any changes need to be made. I also have no comment on suggestions for the policy, as I do not know what it all entails.

So, here I am. Scrolling. And let me tell you the headline they concocted today stopped me dead in my tracks:

Children with Disabilities Being Locked Up in Cages After Being Separated From Their Families

And OH MY GOSH. Let me tell you how up in arms our world just became.

People are now begging of you to contact your elected government officials. People are sharing the posts like crazy. People are so up in arms because not only are they children but they are disabled children!

Disabled children.

It should have been a problem weeks ago when it was simply children.

But it took CLICKBAIT. It took the word "disability" to be brought into the conversation to make enough people care.

Now I have to ask, WHY DO YOU CARE ALL OF A SUDDEN?

You didn't care yesterday about the children. You didn't care yesterday about your neighbor with a disability. You didn't care a week ago when you got a call from school because your kid called some one "retarded." You didn't care when you humiliated the girl with an invisible disability, as she parked in the handicapped spot at the grocery store.

I sit here and I wonder. I wonder why, when it's related to a political controversy, why that is when you care about the disabled population.

Funding for Social Security is going away. Do you know where disability payments come from? You guessed it... Social Security.

I won't even get started on how ineffective the existing payments are. But they won't be around much longer.

Our society has "special minimum wages" for "disabled workers" and its typically well under the federal minimum wage.

Our society doesn't cover the majority of treatments needed for disabled individuals.

Our society turns a blind eye.

Our society has an issue with installing a handicap ramp.

Our society excludes disabled children from fire drills. From active shooter drills. From anything that may cause them to "act out". Because them acting out is worse than them understanding how to respond to a very real emergency.

Name a department store or any store for that matter, that is ADA compliant. I'd wait for a response, but we'd all be dead before we found a store that wasn't some mom and pop place that catered 100% to people with disabilities.

I may be able to walk, but I certainly am squeezed in awfully tight places when shopping for clothes.

I hate to say it, but all of our lives would be a lot easier if everything was made to ADA standards.

But it's not.

And tomorrow they'll have a new "clickbait" drawing attention to something.

But today. I was the clickbait.

My disability.

My disability. No one's disability. Should ever. Ever. Be used to draw attention to an article.

To say I'm disappointed in society would be an understatement.

I don't know how to advocate for those around me suffering from visible or invisible disabilities when society only pays attention when its clickbait.

I'm angry. I'm in pain. I'm fighting for a better society.

Share your clickbaits all you want, but next time, ask yourself, what are you doing to help other than sharing?

A.

Looking to help? Below are links to various foundations and organizations working everyday to help those with disabilities and to help families separated by immigration services.

http://migraineresearchfoundation.org/take-action/donate-now/

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/donate

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/donate

https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/bondfund?source=direct_link

http://las-americas.org/get-involved-2/donate/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio