Skip to main content

Lost Day


It feels like more days than not, are becoming what I call "lost" days. These are the days where I've got plenty to get done, and lots of obligations, but migraine keeps me from doing them. Its the days when no matter what combination of medicine I take, I'm most likely going to be confined to the walls of my dimly lit bedroom, covered in ice packs, with my diffuser going.

Today's one of those lost days. It's the 3rd one this week.

I'm very fortunate to attend a university with a accommodations office that understands my needs.
I started this semester with a very untimely decision by a new neurologist to just quit all the meds I'd been on for about a year and half. After going through uncomfortable withdrawal, I went through even more intense migraine variations. This resulted in me missing over a week of school and an exam. My doctors response? He referred me to a new doctor. Luckily he gave me permission and refills to go back onto my previous medicine, but I've had this migraine since September of 2017. I clearly needed some change in my therapy combination, but that didn't seem to be a concern of his. Since restarting my old medication, I've regained about half of my days. Even though I still have symptoms on the good days, I may just have minor head pain or no head pain at all. But, I still continue to miss school, like today. This is where my accommodations office has allowed my mind to be at ease when I'm at home suffering... I'm allowed to miss school, and if I notify my professor that I will be missing because of a migraine, they have to provide me with an alternate way of making up the class time. So I get to relax knowing I don't have to drop out of school just because I can't attend as regularly as I'd like.

I have the luxury of being able to do class from home, where I have warm lights, comfortable clothes, lots of ice packs, and black out curtains (they aren't perfect but they do the trick). Sadly this doesn't fall over into my job, but in being able to take care of myself and limit my exposure to triggers for half of the day, I have a better chance at being productive being able to push through going to work.

So for now, I'll take a nap and take advantage of my dimly lit room, before I head off to work this afternoon.

I'd love to hear what sort of in home remedies have worked for you and what type of essential oil is your absolutely go to! (Mine's Frankincense)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Unwinding

    Today was okay. I woke up and wasn't greeted by the horrible stabbing pain and fatigue that has become such a regular part of my day.   Today was actually a really good day . Work was productive and I learned all sorts of new things. I was allowed to express my personality through a design challenge that we started the day with. We were presented with a less than ideal fabric that a hypothetical client was insisting on having on a chair in their home. We then had to design an entire room around it. I was given a dark green fabric with some floral patterning to it... and I think my end design came out to be fun and very expressive.   I chose to compliment the dark green that would cover the chair in the left corner with a sofa and loveseat done in a creamy leather covered in bright pillows done in yellows and pinks.  To create a more dramatic feel in the room I used dark wood finishes and large pieces of art that could all be conversation pieces in the room. To me