Skip to main content

Change Yourself, Then The World


Our outlook on the world is literally everything. It makes us who we are, it defines the people around us and the day to day events that leave impressions on us.

Our outlook's aren't as mindful as they should be. As a society, we may want to focus on ourselves, or better ourselves, but we narrowly forget the world around us. Yes, one must find peace within one's self before affecting the world, but the only path that'll allow us to change the world, is that of mindfulness.

Thich Nhat Hanh said "The bell of mindfulness is the voice of the Buddha calling us back to ourselves. We have to respect each sound of the bell, stop our thinking and talking, and get in touch with ourselves, breathing and smiling. This is not a Buddha from the outside. It is our own Buddha calling us home."

He went on to talk about the idea of bringing a bell into your home. Particularly for families to ring, say during an argument, to allow everyone to take a moment to step back and reflect. But the idea is simple. If you hear a bell chime, take a moment and step back from the present and be mindful.

So I bought wind chimes.

There's this idea, that through meditation, one can heal themselves. No, I don't believe that my incurable sidekick of a migraine will magically disappear if I meditate and practice mindfulness, but I certainly believe it can't hurt. The mind is a powerful thing. If you accept that you're going to be in pain and that nothing will aid in the pain, nothing will.

In allowing myself to listen to my own body, respond as needed, and take time to focus on what I need, I have to allow myself to be mindful of those around me.

Under no circumstances do I want people to bend over backwards to accommodate me. So when I say I want to be mindful of those around me, I'm not talking about being polite, holding doors, saying please and thank you, or wishing then well... I'm talking about including them in my day to day, in not holding back, about being open and allowing those who want to listen and understand time to understand and listen.

Its selfish believing that the people I surround myself with, intentionally or not, don't care. I can't pretend that I don't have good and bad days. If I allow myself to always say I'm feeling great, or to pretend that I don't have limits as to what I can and can't do, I'm going to sell myself short and regret it.

So, here's how I can change the world.

All of you reading this, following this journey, already have discovered good and bad and learned all sorts of ins and outs of this disease you didn't already know.

I may not want my disability to define who I am, but its foolish to pretend my disability hasn't made me into the person I am today.

I have to talk about this journey.

I have to allow people I see everyday to understand what I'm going through.

I have to be open. I have to be able to ask for help. I have to be able to admit that I can't do the things normal people my age do.

But it isn't because I want sympathy.

I don't want people to feel bad. Or feel that I'm up against incredible odds. Or feel like I'm using this as an excuse. Or be able to undermine me.

I'm creating a new normal. Being disabled doesn't mean I can't be just as successful, just as motivated, just as happy, as anyone around me. I just have to do things differently.

We live in a world full of people who expect the worse in everyone around them, but if you actually take the time to look around, these people are full of compassion and stories and love that we'd be foolish to ignore.

Not to be cheesy, but sharing is caring. Sharing my journey. Sharing how I really am in a given moment, that's caring. And other people want to care too.

We just have to let them.

A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips and Tricks: Migraines Without Meds

We've all got that one thing that we know will make us be more comfortable, more ourselves. That little something we feel gives us an edge in whatever we're doing. It's that red pair of shoes that'll make us stand out from the crowd because there really isn't a wrong time to wear them, but they certainly aren't expected. It's that lucky pair of socks. It's the green scarf. It's our lucky pen. We want to be comfortable. But, when we've got outside forces controlling a pulsing sensation in our heads, comfort is about as far away as the sun we're desperately trying to avoid. And if you're in my position, reaching for the bottle of pain killers isn't always the right choice. To be completely honest, my pain meds scare me. Every time I get into some trance while I'm on them. Every time I feel myself coming down. Every time the pain sneaks back in. Some days I convince myself that the medication simply wore off and the br

It Hurts

To say I feel less than human, is probably a bit of an understatement. But I do. I've been home for a week. I've managed to pretty much lay in bed in agonizing pain the whole time. I had a half-assed attempt to see a friend that resulted in me rushing home as the nausea and aphasia set in. I successfully made it to massage therapy today. Which meant even after sleeping for roughly 2 hours, I got up at 7:30 and sat in traffic for hours to get to a less than expected appointment. Mind you, my previous massage therapist was so wonderful I'm most likely spoiled to other techniques. This lady was late, she sat in the same god awful traffic I did. We spent more time going over the woes of her morning, than we did discussing why I was there and what I hoped to achieve through various massage techniques. The massage room wasn't dimly lit, and even as the massage started, lights were still on. I found this odd, but decided to just keep my eyes closed. Then she started

Here's My Advice, Take it or Leave It

On one of my last days of work, as I cradled my head and struggled to get through the short shift I had that evening, on the way out, my coworker looked at me and said: "You know, for as bad as you feel, you certainly don't show it" It was the first time I stepped back from a comment like that and realized that she wasn't trying to diminish me. She was coming from a common place. She knew exactly the pain I was in, and was truly almost impressed that I could go on with my day and appear to be a high functioning adult. And that is where this post came from. There's so many of us, who day in and day out are fighting. Fighting for the pain to stop. Fighting for those around us to just let us be or try and understand us. Fighting to hide what's going on. We're all simply fighting to be normal, but we never will be, and that's okay. I took the time to reach out to people with conditions ranging from migraines (like mine), to anxiety and depressio